2 persons killed, several others trapped & injured in building collapse in Mumbai: CM Fadnavis claims notice was issued 2 yrs for vacating dilapidated buildings

At least two people were killed after 100 years old four-storey building collapsed in Mumbai’s congested lane of Dongri area on Tuesday. Over 40 others are feared trapped in the debris. Officials from the Mumbai Police, Mumbai Fire Brigade and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) conducted rescue operations with the help of locals in the area. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said at least 15 families were feared trapped in the debris adding that the building is 100-years-old, and had been considered for redevelopment. It will be probed to ascertain if the work had begun. The ground-plus-four-storey ‘Kesarbai’ building in  Tandel Street, crashed around 11.40 am, an official from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) disaster management cell said. The building was part of a cluster of houses located near the Abdul Hamid Dargah on the Mohammed Ali Road in Dongri. Some part of the building was left standing after the collapse. The incident has been classified as a level-2 disaster by authorities. A child has reportedly been rescued from the building collapse site in Dongri, reports news agency ANI. He has been taken to a local hospital where he is said to be in stable condition. At least five people have been shifted to Habib Hospital and JJ Hospital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.